Sunday , May 26 2019
Home / Family / Parents concerned for their kids after electrocution – WRDW

Parents concerned for their kids after electrocution – WRDW

Thursday, October 18, 2018
(News 12 at 11)

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) – News 12 asked to see the records for Fleming Park over the last two years and found the last inspection was back in May. Five months later, a 12-year-old loses his life.

Parents are nothing short of concerned after this happened.

“We didn’t think they were for real, but when he touched the fence he got stuck to the fence and electrocuted,” Traqwon Berry said.

“I was just worried about him because he looked hurt,” David Sette said. “I just tried the best I could.”

Both Traqwon and David tried all they could to save their friend Melquan Robinson.

It was an unbelievable event that took Melquan’s life. His parents, now having to say goodbye to their first born. This is something other parents can’t even imagine.

“As a parent it was devastating to think of someone else having to go through that,” Rhonda Frazier said.

“It’s something that you pray you never have to experience, just unimaginable,” Rebecca Mims said.

It all hits close to home for Rebecca Mims. She has a son the same age as Melquan.

“Wherever he goes you’re always, as a parent, want to make sure your children are safe and so, obviously this just heightens our awareness of the things that go on around us,” Mims said.

Rhonda Frazier has a daughter on the sideline cheering on the football team. Frazier says it makes her nervous just seeing her near a fence now.

“It does, but I just have to have faith that everything’s going to be OK,” Frazier said.

And parents will be watching as the city looks into six other parks with the same kind of wiring as Fleming Park.

“I think they are doing everything they can,” Frazier said. “I think they are doing an excellent job of following up with this and just trying to make sure that every area, every sports arena and any community areas are going to be safe for our children.”

But some say the inspections are coming a little too late.

“It doesn’t seem real to have seen him play just a few weeks ago on the field and then hearing the news,” Cindy Mitchell said. “Saturdays are going to be really hard for everybody.”

Mitchell is the team’s sideline photographer. She’s talking about the football game tomorrow. Melquan’s team is playing for the first time without him and they’re planning a balloon release during halftime of their game. The game starts at 12:30 p.m. at the Butler High stadium.