Friday , July 19 2019
Home / Family / Mum’s warning to parents after firework leaves daughter, 4, with life-changing injuries

Mum’s warning to parents after firework leaves daughter, 4, with life-changing injuries

A mother has issued a stark warning to parents ahead of Bonfire Night after a stray firework severely injured her daughter.

Stephanie‘s daughter Maisie Roe, four, suffered horrific burns after a wayward firework got stuck in her scarf and exploded in her face.

As a result, she suffered fourth degree burns, Devon Live reports.

The incident happened when the family was enjoying a small firework display at their home in Berrydown, Devon, in November 2016 before it took a harrowing turn for the worst.

A firework, purchased from a local newsagent’s, went rogue as it flew sideways rather than upwards and got jammed in Maisie’s scarf before exploding.

Picture of Maisie after the firework incident

A video showing the shocking moment the incident occurred has been watched more than 700,000 times on Facebook.

Stephanie said: “As a family we thought long and hard about releasing this footage.

“I stood and filmed what happened that night thinking it would just make another part of a happy Facebook post with the kids enjoying some newsagent fireworks in the back garden.”

Maisie was transferred to Bristol Hospital where she has been receiving treatment for her severe burns since – some of which were “full-thickness” burns, likely to require skin grafts.

Stephanie and Maisie after recovery

Stephanie added: “There are amazing professional displays all over the country, please consider going to one of those as opposed to fireworks in the garden this year.

“As a mother who had to watch her tiny child endure so much pain and who’s little body is scarred for life, I can hand on heart say it is never worth the risk.”

Although she will be scarred for life, Stephanie says Maisie has made an “amazing” recovery.

Maisie’s current scars

She said: “Maisie is absolutely fine now. Her scarring will never completely heal but unless you’re looking for them you wouldn’t notice them.

“Maisie would profess that she is absolutely fine with fireworks now, but we went to a festival in the summer and they had a display after the last act – she’s never hung onto me so hard in her life.

“We certainly won’t be going out of our way to go to a display this year.”

Maisie in hospital after the incident
The Fireworks Code

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents has issued the following advice for fireworks displays:

“Only adults should deal with setting up firework displays, the lighting of fireworks and the safe disposal of fireworks once they have been used (and remember, alcohol and fireworks don’t mix!).

Children and young people should be supervised, and watch and enjoy fireworks at a safe distance.”

Follow these top 10 tips for a safer fireworks party:

Plan your firework display to make it safe and enjoyable, and ensure it finishes before 11pm Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114, keep them in a closed box and use them one at a time Read and follow the instructions on each firework using a torch if necessary Light the firework at arm’s length with a taper and stand well back Keep naked flames, including cigarettes, away from fireworks Never return to a firework once it has been lit Don’t put fireworks in pockets and never throw them Direct any rocket fireworks well away from spectators Never use paraffin or petrol on a bonfire Make sure that the fire is out and surroundings are made safe before leaving.

Have a story in Somerset you’d like to share? Let us know. Email: tommy.joyce@reachplc.com, ring: 01935 709741 or tweet: @tommyjjourno.

Want more news?

To subscribe to our daily newsletter, enter your email address into the box at the top of this story.

To keep up to date with our latest news, follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Find our Bath Facebook page here or Somerset’s can be found here

Alternatively, follow us on Twitter – @BathLive and @SomersetLive

RelatedPost